blog background

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Substitute teacher report


Chandra put me in charge of this as she works one of her last shifts before the baby comes. I guess she could always edit whatever I write, but she doesn't realize the position she put me in...should I represent her point of view? of course not.
I guess we should first report on Ethan's 5th birthday party. He had cousins, neighborhood buddies, and friends from school and church at his party. It happened at the park. We had cake and ice cream first followed by presents, games, and a pinata. Among the presents Ethan received were a remote control Corvette, glow in the dark 100-piece puzzle, slip-n-slide water slide, a new bike, a Leap Frog version of a Gameboy, and some other things I should remember but don't. I could post all the pictures I took, but will refrain.


For the games we did some traditional mixed with variations. The 3-legged race was a hit. After binding the partners Chandra and I demonstrated how to arrange the walking pattern. I wish someone could have gotten a picture of us doing that. Anyway, Ethan and his cousin, Haley, followed the instructions and came in first with the second place team halfway behind them. I was impressed. After cutting the strings we had them climb in their own garbage bags and do a sack race. Pretty fun. We mixed partners and had them stand back-to-back. We put a balloon between them and they had to walk without using their arms to hold onto the balloon. One team made it to the end of the race while the other teams popped their balloons on the grass. It seems as if I am forgetting another game. Oh well. Before cracking open the pinata...I mean pulling the string that unraveled the bottom of it, we had them practice popping a little hand held streamer popper (instead of silly string). Inside the pinata everyone had enough to pop off 3-5 each and so they chased each other around like the poppers were water guns.









The weather was wonderful. The breeze was almost too much at times, but it kept the mid-70s temperature from becoming a burden. While Chandra, her mother, and her sister hung out at the pavilion cleaning up and chatting with the other moms, I was on playground duty as well as merry-go-round and swing duty. I discovered a new injury that can happen from spinning the oversized top too hard...I broke a blood vessel in my palm from gripping to slow down. Hold your tears though, a little ice and some extra cake made it all better.

Some funny things have been popping up around the house. Lexi has a tendency to change words to songs or characters she is familiar with and
applying them to her. She loves to listen to a story on tape about Captain Dependable and how he always does what he says. She told her version to her stuffed pet kitties: "Don't worry. I'm Lexi Dependable and I am going to take care of you." She has also taken over Ethan's old bike and loves to race Ethan and try to keep up with him. It is red and has a rocket on the frame. She calls it her "Spaceship Bike" and says it helps her go fast. She has fallen off a few times. When she does she searches for reassurance and climbs back on before her tears have stopped.
Ethan is a good brother. He helps Lexi with a lot of things around the house and waits for her to catch up with whatever he has planned out. He doesn't mind her tagging along too much and has accepted the fact that she usually wants to be around him...even on top of him sometimes. It is very heart-warming to see.
Other than that things are progressing well. There aren't enough spaces on the couches for all of us as it is and in 1 week or less we will have to make one more spot in the van, at the table, on our Queen mattress, and on the couch. Our hearts have already made a spot for baby Hunter.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Good job Chris! Hey I sure miss you guys! The kids are growing so fast and I can't believe the baby is almost here. You are amazing Chandra!!!!