blog background

Monday, May 25, 2009

Whatever his name will be, he is here

I remarked to Chandra that with as quick as Lexi's birth was we caught up all that time with this baby. Hunter was born at 2051 on May 24th (exactly 1 year from the date we signed on our house in VA). He weighs 8 pounds and 5 ounces. He is 19 inches long. Chandra was in heavy labor about 3 hours with the actual pushing lasting probably no more than 10 agonizing minutes. It took forever to get the number up to 6, but once it did it must have only been an hour later an we were holding our son. Chandra went au natural. Her decision to go without the epidural didn't seem to hold up when we had everything in place and she was at the slippery slope of being a 6. But she hesitated long enough to where the baby would have been here and dried off before she would have felt anything. She had a sub-1 episiotomy. I really don't know how much more she would want published, but am sure she will fill in the missing gaps once she is up and running, so I will defer to the nurse about any more details.
Baby Hunter ____, or ____ Hunter, looks great as far as where he just came from and his mode of travel is concerned. His head is not misshapen at all. He cried a little bit once out, but quieted down as soon as his mom snuggled him. He closed his eyes and rested until the mean nurse stabbed him with the Vitamin K shot, but even then he was forgiving and wanted to resume sn
uggling.
Chandra's parents brought the kids to visit at what must have been 30-45 minutes before delivery. Chandra tried to be brave, but Ethan was very quick to pick up on the vibe that his mom wasn't feeling well and he began to withdraw. They didn't stay more than 5 minutes before leaving. They began waiting in the lobby, but when I called them to share the news, they were getting subs and had to rush back to the hospital.
The kids were very excited; Alexis more visibly than Ethan, but b
oth were not shy about approaching the bed. Alexis wanted to crawl up in bed and join the group. She was all kisses for her little brother. Ethan never did kiss him, but became impatient when he had to wait in a chair a few minutes before getting his turn to hold the new arrival. Once he held his brother he was all smiles and very interested in what would happen next. He is more reserved about showing emotion (like his dad).
Once the party left I stayed behind to help Chandra shower and get comfortable. She told me she felt a connection when she and Hunter first locked eyes. She didn't have any profound words to describe what she felt, but I'm sure every mother knows what I'm talking about. Before getting caught up in the moment we had read an article about our Heavenly Father's Plan of Happiness and how being married in the temple seals children to parents forever; not until death closes this mortal door. I felt a little, maybe echo is the right word, of the depth involved in being an eternal family and am grateful for the privilege of witnessing the miracle of birth for the third time.
Anyway, I must close and go to bed. Chandra should be discharged late Tuesday morning. She has her cell phone with her so call and leave a message if she doesn't an
swer and she will work her way down the list. Trust me, there aren't any decent cable channels on TV for her to watch. Without anyone else there she can't play Skipbo, so she will have some time to chat.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

congratulations. I'm glad it went so well for you...after it got started!

Margaret said...

congrats to you all!

Doug said...

Congratulations! We won't get to stop by today but we'll check on you tomorrow, enjoy getting to know your new baby!

Becca, Doug and the boys

EmJoy said...

Congratulations you guys! He is so cute, and Chandra, you look great! Thanks for keeping us posted. Our youngest little guys is 5 weeks old now. Glad you guys are doing well. Take care and enjoy him!

heather said...

Congratulations you guys, that is so awesome. Sorry about the length of time but go Chandra, NATURAL...I always knew you were a little bit crazy. J/K. I can't wait to see more pictures.I hope you are all doing well. To bad it wasn't the 25th he could have shared a birthday with Brent. I am sure that is just what you were thinking. I will call soon.

Josh and Cori said...

congrats you guys-he seems to be a good mix between Ethan and Lexi-I am sure he has changed so much by now, too. Have fun with 3 kids-I am glad to hear everything is going well for you guys!

Amy said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! He is such a handsome little guy.

Crystal said...

I just wanted to post this so you always have it to remember. I got your message, Chandra and I started crying because you had such a peaceful, loving, totally-in-love tone to your voice. You are such a good mom and so in-love with your children. They are so lucky to have you and Chris!
I REALLY like the name Sean and people (like my husband) will get your name right if they realize he has his mommy as a namesake. Anyway.
Congratulations, he is just GORGEOUS and looks like his fantastic big brother.

McKayTroop said...

Congratulations! I found out you have a blog just in time to see the pictures and hear the good news! Way to go!
Sara (your long lost cousin)
smckay@dsdmail.net (If you're interested, e-mail me and I can send you an "invite" to my blog)