blog background

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Family Gatherings....

I have lots of Aunts on my mother's side- actually she had only sisters- 6 of them total.  I'm sure there was never a dull moment at her house growing up!  What fun! When we moved here to the Shanendoah Valley several years ago, I new I would be within 45 minutes from 2 of my older Aunts whom I didn't know as well as the others.  I was actually looking forward to seeing them again and reestablishing relationships there between them and my cousins, whom I also hadn't seen for a long time!  Unfortunately, Aunt MaryLou passed away 2 years ago.  I was VERY thankful to spend time with her, trying to get over to see her each month.  We spent our first 2 Thanksgivings here with her and my first and second cousins.  It was very memorable.  My children remember Aunt MaryLou coming to their birthday parties here also.  MaryLou held Hunter at 2 weeks old before she got sick.  I am VERY thankful for my family.  Unfortunately life brings trials and sickness.  She was strong, passionate in her beliefs and so loving.  She loved to visit. We'd sit on the porch and chat and eat together.  It was always a nice reunion for me.  She'd tell me about her childhood and memories of the past.  I'd eagerly await what she'd say next.  I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have beyond the grave.  I'm thankful for the gospel that binds us together as families.  My other Aunt, Judy, unfortunetly passed away the end of August as well.  I am thankful to have also spent time there with her!  She was such a loving Aunt.  She, too, had many trials during her last years.  But, with trials, came many blessings for her in family and friends.  She was talented, making dolls, portraits, books of family history.  She even traveled to Ireland several years ago, oxygen and all, to visit her ancestors.  I loved listening to Aunt Judy's stories of the past, from growing up, to travelling to Ireland.  We talked of our family.  I'd bring over the laptop with my kids and show her all our pictures and what we've been up too also.  Sometimes life brings you lemons, but she learned how to make sweet lemonade with what she was dealt.  I am thankful to have gotten to know these 2 beautiful ladies while still on this earth and can't wait to see them again!  I love you Aunt Mary Lou and Aunt Judy.  God be with you till we meet again.
 Mary Lou, Doug and Christina at a surprise visit! June 14th, 2009
 Hunter at almost 4 weeks old
 Me, Christina, Hunter and Jessica (cousin)
 Mary Lou's home after funeral- Aunt Jean, Mom, Aunt Fran, Aunt Patty Ann
 Cousins Raymond, Steven, Mom, Aunt Fran, Aunt Jean, Cousin Dee-Dee (Doris Marie) and Larry Bowers at viewing for Aunt Judy- end of August 2012 in Shenandoah
 Great Aunt Jackie, Mom, Aunt Jean, Aunt Fran, Great Uncle Mack
 Cousins Steven and Bradley
  Chris and David with all the kids!

No comments: